Show Me the Money
Evaluate Your Best Targets and Go After Them
As the New Year begins, be sure and take time to analyze your best best opportunity to make money. Whether your primary business is maintenance or design/build, it’s worth your while to determine where you’re making the most money so you can make more of it!
First, review your Current Customer Base by analyzing the following:
- Start with two matrixes — one by size (revenue) range and the other by Market Type or blend of Design/Build Planting vs. Hardscape.
- Next, insert the GM and the tenure of those jobs you currently have or have installed.
- Put these jobs in the matrix areas and determine the profitability patterns by job size and market segment.
- Determine Gross Margin for Each Customer Segment/Market Type
- Determine Gross Margin by job size as well
In the end, you’ll easily determine your high, medium and low priority targets.
Example: For Commercial Maintenance — The best size might be $1,000 to $2,000 per month and the best Market might be Commercial.
For the Design/Build business, the best size might show $10,000 to $15,000 and with primarily soft scape/ planting as best blend.
Focus your time and resources on those jobs that are most profitable either by size and/or by market type/blend and you’ll soon see the money!