About Fred Haskett, Head Harvester
For over 35 years Fred Haskett has been growing businesses in the “Green Industry”. After leaving Ohio State University in 1977, he first worked in a small local Garden Center for a few years until he founded a Residential Lawn Care Company in his home town of Dover, Ohio. For ten years he grew ‘Greenworld Lawn Care from a one man-one truck operation in 1980 into a Multi-Faceted firm with revenues over 1 million.
Since 1990 Fred has had the opportunity to work with some of the most outstanding organizations in the Green Industry “The J C Ehrlich Green Team” “The Brickman Group” “The Valley Crest Companies” franchise subsidiary “U S Lawns, TruGreen Landcare, and most recently Landscape Development, Inc. in Valencia, CA. He has served as President Vice President, Regional Manager and Division Manager and has had P&L responsibility for Multi State / Multi Branch operations with revenues exceeding $45 Million annually. During his career Fred has directly managed the sales and production of over $70 million in lawncare services and $ 180 million landscape services.
Fred has extensive experience in two prime areas, Lawn and Tree Care Services, and Commercial Landscape Management. In addition, he has extensive experience in design build, arbor care, water management, snow and ice removal, and sports turf management.
Fred’s certifications include: Landscape Industry Certified Manager through NALP, Certified Turf Grass Professional through PLCAA and is a Certified Arborist through ISA.
Fred currently serves as a member of the Project Evergreen Board of Directors. He has served three terms on the Board of Directors of PLANET with two terms as Chairman of the Lawn Care Specialty Group, and he was the Professional Lawn Care Association’s representative to the Landscape Maintenance Specialty Group as part of the ALCA/PLCAA Merger in 2005.
In 2006 Fred was honored by his peers by being named a TRAILBLAZER For Lifetime Green Industry Achievement by Professional Land Care Network.
Fred wrote Containment Systems Design, a guidebook for chemical storage, mixing and recycling, published in 1995 by Advanstar He has also written articles for Lawn Care Industry and Landscape Management magazines and given many talks for industry events at the state and national level. Fred also served for three years on the Seminar Faculty of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America.
Fred and his bride, Kelly, divide their time between Port Hueneme, CA, where they spend time on-board their 36’ sailboat, Touché, and a small town outside of St. Louis, MO, called Defiance, which, according to their friends, is an appropriate place for Fred to live. They spend their leisure time sailing in the Caribbean and Pacific, chasing their seven grandchildren, intruding into their two children’s lives, and trying to break 100 on the golf course.
AREAS OF FOCUS
As a consultant with The Harvest Group, Fred will bring his talents, programs and tools to focus in these areas:
- Peer group facilitation
- Strategic planning
- Acquisition valuation and integration
- Contract Negotiation
- Performance Management
- Operational development
- Change management
- Managing multi-unit profit centers
- Business Development
- Franchise System Operation and Development
NOTABLE MANAGEMENT SUCCESSES
- Expanded the division from eight locations in three states producing 6.25 Million in sales, 5% annual growth, and a (-3%) annual loss to twelve locations in five states producing 10.5 million in sales, 12.5 % annual growth, and 11.5 % in net profitability
- Expanded the region from 11 locations generating $ 4.24 Million in 2001 to 28 locations generating $14.88 Million. Improved net profitability from an average of 8.5% to an average of 12%.
- Expanded the combined operations of the two operating units from $ 298,000.00 in first year sales to $ 2.4 Million in ninth year. Improved net profitability from a first year level of 2.5% to 14%.
- First year results – Improved net profitability (EBITDA) by 31% from 9% to 13%. Improved gross margin levels by 9,4%, Improved enhancement penetration by 6.6% to 40%. Reduced operating expenses by 8%, Reduced administrative expenses by 7.3%. Improved client retention from 80% to 99%. Achieved base contract portfolio growth of 20% year over year.
- Year over year results – Improved net profitability (EBITDA) by 25%. Improved gross margin levels by 13.6%, Improved maintenance enhancement penetration by 11.7% to 30%., Improved maintenance client retention by 33.5%, Increased contract maintenance sales by 32.5%, achieved base contract maintenance portfolio growth of 37% year over year.