Have you ever wanted to pick up your HR Bat Phone and dial 911 for help? We can help. This month we have been addressing the top 10 human resource issues that face landscapers today.
Let’s start off with a review of a few of them including employee records. We all have to keep them but what is the best approach?
- As a standard rule you should have two files for every employee. One file should contain their day-to-day employee records and the second file should contain all confidential records for that employee.
- As a best practice you should keep the confidential files in a locked cabinet.
Now that you have your file system in tact you need to consider your state laws and regulations related to retention.
- Do you know what your retention guidelines are?
- If not, find out now and then create a spreadsheet for every employee and track the retention date accordingly.
Last week we talked about I-9 forms, make sure to keep them in a separate binder and not in their employee file.
OK – here’s the last tip. We all have those state and federal posters around somewhere right?
- Let’s say that when we coordinate our clocks for daylight savings time, change our fire alarm batteries, we add one more thing to that list. Get those state and federal posters and post them in a prominent area visible to all employees.
What is one thing you learned in this video? Let us know below!
– Bill and Ed