Success in any organization depends on setting clear expectations and goals. And making sure that everyone in your organization clearly understands his or her role in that process is crucial to moving forward.
To ensure that everyone in your organization is clear about the road ahead and what’s expected of them along the way, it’s key that everyone, including You, the leader, is able to answer these six questions:
- What am I supposed to be doing?
- What are the expected goals or standards?
- How does my performance match up to these goals?
- What do I need to learn or do to improve?
- What can I expect if I am successful?
- What happens if/when I fall short?
Once you and your people have a clear sense of what’s expected–evidenced by an ability to answer the Six Questions above–you’ll be well on your way to success and accomplishing your mission.
Setting Clear Expectations
One of the most important responsibilities of any successful leader is to make their expectations–both of themselves and their people–crystal clear. To eliminate any misunderstandings about the way ahead and what’s expected, make sure you, as well as everyone else in your organization, can answer the following questions… clearly.